Sunday, May 21, 2006

20060516 Polar Bear Club


This post covers events of 20050516.

Yesterday icebergs [actually floating ice as the the lake melts] were floating on Naknek Lake near Brooks Camp. Today, many of us, including myself in a float coat and Tim Chu in a 'gumby suit' swam 70 yards through that water then pulled ourselves unassisted into a skiff. When pulling myself into the skiff I had no feeling from above my waist to my toes. Later as my toes warmed the stinging exceeded any pain I experienced during the swim, but was about equal to the dread that gripped me beforehand.

Since we could have become hypothermic, we were not allowed to take a hot shower afterwards to warm ourselves. Hot water on the skin of the arms and legs would trigger the body to once again circulate blood to and from the extremities. This would bring cold blood to the heart, possibly leading to a heart attack. Thus, three hours later I am still cold...on the inside.


Why would a boy raised in San Diego and spending winters in South Florida's Everglades jump into water not much warmer than an ice cube? Today and for the next three days I am attending the Motorboat Operator Certification Course [MOCC] that the Department of the Interior requires of anyone operating a park boat. While boat operation is not part of my job, I'll be able to use a skiff on my days off. Participants must demonstrate that if they fall from a boat into cold water they can get themselves back into the boat. After paying this price, whether I really want to or not you know that at least once I'll be skimming in a motorboat across the same frigid water I swam in today.

I plan to reward myself for today's effort, but the reward must wait. Come September, after four months without my beloved fountain diet cola and Mexican food, I'll be heading for Nacho Mama's in Naknek for a plate of steaming enchiladas and a diet Coke. No ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home