Monday, May 22, 2006

20060522 The Last Box

Brooks Camp is not open to the public for another week. For now all of the float planes touching down on the waters of Naknek Lake are carrying staff, our possessions, our food, and food for the lodge. Since arriving in Brooks Camp ten days ago I have been acting like Tattoo in Fantasy Island whenever I hear a float plane arriving. "The plane! The plane!" Within two days all of the food I shipped from Anchorage had landed in Brooks Camp and was stuffed into every nook and cranny of the tiny cabin I share with Travis.

Great. I'll not starve. Still, I was not whole. A month ago I mailed a 70# box parcel post from California to Brooks Camp. Inside were conveniences, not necessities. A down comforter. Bread machine. Tasty dried tortellinis and raviolis from Trader Joes. Shoes. Scissors. Sewing Kit. Computer speakers. About 100 DVDs. With each arriving plane I hoped that my goodies had arrived. With each arriving plane I was disappointed.

Today that last box arrived at last! I am a happy boy. Tunes, movies, and fresh bread. What more could I ask for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home