Thursday, June 22, 2006

20060622 Monkey See, Monkey Do




It is said that, given a room full of monkeys at keyboards, one of them would eventually type the Declaration of Independence. The right tools and sufficient opportunity can produce a masterpiece. Hmmm. I’m not so sure.

Every painter would like to be able to paint this. I’m not a painter but I could buy brushes and a palette and paints and find a blank wall somewhere. Still, even with all the time in the world I doubt I could reproduce the Last Supper. Something about talent. I would end up with something like this.

Photographers at every level come to Brooks Camp and would like to shoot this. Most lack the tools, opportunity and/or the talent, so we end up with this.

Roy has loaned me the tools, at least for the time being. I have three more months, long hours of daylight, and within a few days beaucoups bears. But even with tools and opportunity, can I produce a masterpiece like Mangelsen’s “Catch of the Day”? I’m not so sure. I’m afraid I’m not the right monkey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home