Saturday, July 15, 2006

20060715 Fruits, Vegetables, and Friendship



I can’t say that Thrifty Drug Stores held much attraction otherwise, but I’d definitely stop in for a triple-scooper of their yummy and inexpensive flavors whenever I had the chance. Chocolate Malted Crunch, Mint Chip, and Cookies & Cream were my favorites among the standards. In November they regularly featured a very nice Pumpkin. Every once in a long while, when Peanut Butter & Chocolate would be the feature flavor, I’d be in heaven. Peanut Butter & Chocolate is my very most favorite flavor don’t you know.

Ice cream is my downfall. I cannot seem to exercise any self-control when it comes to America’s favorite dessert. Along with my fervor for ice cream comes an equal passion for minimizing the cost of my existence. A few years ago, when Rite-Aid purchased the Thrifty chain, I was in a panic. What would I do?

Baskin & Robbins ice cream is superior but I cannot stomach the price on a regular basis. I could bring ice cream home rather than indulge in hand-dipped, but the evidence of my habit would be there for all to see. I must have been thinking kind thoughts about my mother during the drug chain takeover, as Rite-Aid has continued the Thrifty ice-cream counter tradition without any changes to product or price.

I’ve considered a 12-Step program to get the Chunky Monkey off of my back, but I have another method that seems to work. Simply work for the National Park Service and live most of the year in remote places where ice cream can be difficult to come by without either a long drive or an exorbitant price.

For example, in the Flamingo district of the Everglades I can ride my bicycle three minutes from my apartment to the Marina Store to buy a pint of Ben & Jerry’s any time I would like. The store even has spoons. That pint will set me back over $5. My gut says, “Go for it!” but most times my brain will not allow my arm to reach into my back pocket for the wallet. Perhaps a couple of times a season I yield to the sinful.

Here in Brooks Camp I have no temptation at all. Ice cream simply does not exist. I suppose I could buy an ice cream maker and the ingredients, but that would be too much trouble and expense. I do without.

You would think that I would have cravings after more than two months without a fix. I do, but not for ice cream strangely enough. My desire is for fresh fruit.

Jim Nixon, an old buddy who I seldom see these days, left yesterday after visiting for five days. We had a grand time together, including a couple of accidental too-close encounters with the furry ones. We renewed a four-decade friendship that has always picked up right where it left off.

Before coming Jim asked if he could bring anything. Along with items as exciting as cordovan shoe polish and a cheese grater, I requested fresh fruits and vegetables.

Jim came through. He arrived with carrots, cabbage, artichokes, peppers and onions, all of which keep well. Two ripe avocadoes were guacamole the first night. Also stuffed in his carry-on were apples, peaches, apricots, and two kinds of cherries. Within ten minutes of his unpacking I had ravished two peaches, two apricots, and more than half a pound of cherries.

Comfort fruit and a comfortable friendship—what more could I ask for? Would you believe...Peanut Butter & Chocolate?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home