Friday, September 22, 2006

20060922 Northern Lights, Big City

20060922 Northern Lights, Big City
When Texans visit Alaska and boast about size, as if it mattered, Alaskans respond, "We could split Alaska in half and have two states both larger than Texas." Despite its vastness, Alaska is sparsely populated. Many fewer than a million people live in the entire place—665,000 by a 2005 estimate. Of those, about half live in Anchorage.
These folks tend to be very conscious of being Alaskans, a hearty lot. I find these people of Anchorage generally helpful and friendly but the city, surrounded by natural beauty that will make you gasp, elicits a different respiratory reaction and could only be described as "strip malls gone wild".
Having lived for years in San Diego, itself a refuge for the faceless business, I’m quite accustomed to this kind of commerce and find it easy to locate the goods and services that I need here.
First things first, I was not to be denied that steaming greasy plate of enchiladas [thank you Lyle Lovett]. I had been told that authentic Mexican food could be had a Taco King, a taco stand about six long blocks from the hostel on a main drag called Northern Lights.
In addition to the strip mall economy San Diego also taught me to appreciate the corner taco stand, almost as numerous in So Cal as McDonald’s. Cheap prices, abundant fat and salt, and the obligatory "5 rolled tacos for $x.xx" special can be found at Alberto’s, Aliberto’s, Roberto’s, and any number of other eateries occupying former Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, and Foster’s Freeze locations throughout San Diego county.
How would Taco King compare? I give it a solid B-. Not awful, not totally gringo-mex, but just not what I had hoped for. Ah well, I must remember where I am, not to mention that I have been without since early May.
Dessert follows the main course, and of course that would be ice cream. Roy recommended a home-made ice creamery titled Hot Licks, also walking distance from the hostel. Cappuccino Crunch caught my eye. Once again, a B-. Good flavor but poor texture—gritty and dry instead of smooth and refreshing. When did I develop this discriminating palate? Me, who is happy with Thrifty ice cream cylinders? And what a miserly scoop! I thought everything here was supposed to be big, like Denali. If you are not going to satisfy the gourmet then at least the gourmand.
I guess the old joke applies here. Two Tims are seated at a diner. One Tim remarks to the other, "The food here is terrible!" The other Tim replies, "I agree, but at least the portions are large."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home